How to Learn Precision in Crochet


One of the questions I have been asked, as people watched me crochet over the years, is how I get my stitches so uniform. The answer is strange, odd, weird, and yet completely predictable to those in the know: I learned to be precise by making doilies.

Doilies and other forms of thread crochet, requires a precision that your average yarn does not. The slightest change in tension can result in.... Well, check out this pic at right. See that hanging loop at the bottom of the double crochet? Ouch.

With thread crochet, you learn to keep your stitches straight so that your pattern doesn't waver. You learn to shape the fabric as you see immediate effects from increases and decreases. You learn how much space each stitch takes and where to place them for the best visual effect.

In short, you learn the mechanics of crochet design.

Take these two pieces on the left, for example.

They're made using a basic granny square pattern. Everyone makes one at least once in their time. It's a staple of the art. Yarn is forgiving enough to hide most mistakes, and you can whip up a throw in no time.

Now, look at thread crochet in the picture on the right. It's made with the same granny square pattern. But, there's no way I'd ever use it in a throw or blanket.

First, that thread piece is less than two inches. It's stiff, and not something I'd have the patience to make big enough to become a throw. Plus, itchy.

Second, look at the shape and pattern of it. You can tell at a glance where I messed up on thread tension or changed the stitches to something else. (I did dc, ch, dc instead of 3 dc for this example.) There is a much smaller margin for error than with yarn.

In short, for learning precision, learn thread crochet. For making blankets, throws, and other textiles? Apply what you've learned in thread crochet to yarn and you'll get some beautiful results.

Comments