Everyone has their favorite tools. Some people prefer one brand over another. Some like thick hook handles. Some like thin. This is a rundown of what I prefer.
Susan Bates hooks - These aluminum (or plastic) hooks have just the right amount of point to the tip, a great grip on yarn, and - unlike some other designs - don't pull on the stitch that you're hooking the yarn through. That last point, especially, makes it really easy to crochet at a higher speed.
Stitch markers - there have been a lot of designs over the years, though many people just use a spare piece of yarn. My current favorite is this reusable safety pin styled marker. They're ridiculously inexpensive on Amazon and are available in different quantities from multiple sellers.
Yarn needles - There's not a huge amount of variance here. Look for a decent size eye and a blunt tip so that you're less likely to go through yarn instead of around it.
Scissors - Just about anything sharp works. I've even used fingernail clippers! Lately, I've been using a cheap pair from the local store because my good needlework scissors disappeared. (Any comments, spouse of mine?)
Yarns - The most essential. Depending on what you're making? It's all personal preference. These days, I've been using Red Heart and Caron yarns. They're not as expensive as some, and they can survive daily use. Try all the ones you can find and decide from there.
Yarn Ball Winder/Yarn Cake Winder - In my first few hours of having one, I had to wonder how I survived without it. This tool lets you make a cake of yarn that doesn't tangle, while allowing you to check for irregularities and knots. There are many models, some very cheap and some very expensive. As you can get one for less than $30, though, get one if you decide to seriously crochet. I'm currently using the Knit Picks Yarn Ball Winder.
Susan Bates hooks - These aluminum (or plastic) hooks have just the right amount of point to the tip, a great grip on yarn, and - unlike some other designs - don't pull on the stitch that you're hooking the yarn through. That last point, especially, makes it really easy to crochet at a higher speed.
Stitch markers - there have been a lot of designs over the years, though many people just use a spare piece of yarn. My current favorite is this reusable safety pin styled marker. They're ridiculously inexpensive on Amazon and are available in different quantities from multiple sellers.
Yarn needles - There's not a huge amount of variance here. Look for a decent size eye and a blunt tip so that you're less likely to go through yarn instead of around it.
Scissors - Just about anything sharp works. I've even used fingernail clippers! Lately, I've been using a cheap pair from the local store because my good needlework scissors disappeared. (Any comments, spouse of mine?)
Yarns - The most essential. Depending on what you're making? It's all personal preference. These days, I've been using Red Heart and Caron yarns. They're not as expensive as some, and they can survive daily use. Try all the ones you can find and decide from there.
Yarn Ball Winder/Yarn Cake Winder - In my first few hours of having one, I had to wonder how I survived without it. This tool lets you make a cake of yarn that doesn't tangle, while allowing you to check for irregularities and knots. There are many models, some very cheap and some very expensive. As you can get one for less than $30, though, get one if you decide to seriously crochet. I'm currently using the Knit Picks Yarn Ball Winder.




Comments
Post a Comment